Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Decisions: Put Existing 4GTL On Road Or Buy A “New” One

MeFeinMcCabe

Enthusiast
I have a 1986 GTL in the garage , it has a genuine 33,000 miles on the clock . Although the doyens of the Renault 4 world question this. But I’m sure of the history of the car and where it has been for the last 20 plus years.

I thought in retirement I would get her back on the road but life gets in the road.

I have seen a decent LHD 4 for sale for £4k.

Decision is should I spend the money on the old car or flog it and buy something “new”

I take it the 1986 one's a R.H.D. car, given that you've quoted a mileage in miles, not Kms. if so, it's a no brainer-go for the restoration of the R.H.D. car. You'd have a car that you'd know very well, as you'd have done (or been party to) the restoration and a R.H.D. car is easier to drive in the U.K! Remember your £4K would buy an awful lot of parts, assuming you "give of your time" for free and there's always advice here if you ever become stuck!

[As an aside, I'm currently restoring a R.H.D. 1961 Skoda Octavia. I've always wanted one since childhood, but waited until I too was retired before obtaining one. Rocking horse faecal matter is common, in comparison to the rarity of these cars, and although I looked at several L.H.D. ones (mostly in Czechia) I thought it best to hang on for a R.H.D. one-a decision I'm happy with!]

If you have one with known history and condition, to my mind its better to work with that than buy an unknown quantity, unknown history, unknown underneath. Send the car to Paul Cunningham to make the mechanicals perfect, and to a good experienced body shop to sort the body and touch up the exterior, to get it done more quickly.

As suggested I'd look at investing in what you have already it's kind of a known quantity. Be good if you could get some quotes & timescales to get the vehicle back to a roadworthy condition and useable not necessarily restored? You could improve it as you go along after maybe. Bought my first R4 last summer hoped to have it on the road for this year but that's already slipped so I understand your dilemma keep us posted have just looked at some of your old posts showing the car great potential

Back