Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

135 80 R13 70T

Firestone make these-well, they did a couple of years ago. I use this size on my little Daf 33 and Firestones are a respectable brand.

I had heard a wild rumour to the effect that although Michelin no longer list them on their site they occasionally do runs of their last Energy tyre in that size that are very quickly snapped up, going to car clubs in France, and outlets like Feu Vert, but I have no proof. I would love to know if this is true. Anyone in France who can confirm/deny?
The other odd thing is there must be reasonably current production of off brand tyres using old Michelin XZX era moulds, as the R4 magazine shows a lot of R4s with good condition "classic"style treads. No idea if they are any good. Its frustrating they support the earlier rear engine renaults and 2cvs etc with classic style 15" tyres.

Googling I found this french site:

apparently made by a Michelin subsidiary. See below

While googling at holiday in Italy these Barum (Continental) tires for €30,- each.
Screenshot_20240704-170059_Samsung Internet.jpg

Or for our off road riders with their R4 4x4 Sinpar these nice Pirelli's
Screenshot_20240704-170746_Samsung Internet.jpg

A lot of us fit 145 80 13 tyres. There is a much better choice in that size.

Damn those Pirellis look fine! (As Ernest Hemingway would say). I am going to have to find an extra set of rims.
Hey Malcolm, I have the pre 1969 front suspension set up, which means only 7 degrees castor angle and a helper spring in the steering box. How much difference to heaviness of steering does the wider 145 tyre make for them? I would prefer 135s on that basis, but maybe it makes no discernible difference. Anyone????

A 1968 car I have driven had lighter steering than the newer R4s, and going 10mm wider on tyres is not that big deal anyway.
Struggling to find a reputable brand 145/80/13 here, too. The only one (relatively) readily available is the Uniroyal Rain Expert 3.

tyre direct do a 145 x 80 x 13 Lanvigator tyre at 4 for £129.95 inc delivery, which Paul Cunningham ford for me, delivered next day, and fitted well.

Back