Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

and so it starts

Pascal's pilot

Enthusiast
Hi everyone,

I am attempting to put some info and photos on the forum for the first time, so it may be a bit er... rough and ready.

I have a LHD 4TL, which I want to restore and convert to RHD.
Some kind folks expressed an interest in this operation, so here is the opening batch of photos.

A big thank you to (Al) Qplate for allowing me to take photos of his R4 RHD GTL engine bay area.1.JPG2.JPG4.JPG20242507AL1.JPG20242507AL2.JPG20242507AL3.JPG20242507AL5.JPG20242507AL6.JPG

So, I have cleared and cleaned the area where I want the pedal box etc to go.
Got an idea of the location of the apertures and their location, with dimensions from Al's GTL.
I am also interested in fitting the 1108cc engine which is why there are 2 shots of the GTL engine bay cross brace (location of)
All the LHD stuff is now removed from my TL.
My next step is to go to my scrap RHD GTL and make a template of the right hand side of the 'pedal board'.
You may be thinking why photograph Al's engine bay if I have a doner car ?
This is because only the top half of the panel exists on my GTL, the rust termites got the bottom half (photo on next post).
That's it for now

cheers Dave

Great to meet you Dave.. keep the updates coming when you can

I am very interested to see this conversion, always nice to see all the technical execution.
Good that you choose a more powerful combustion engine.

Hi JdeW, Thank you for your interest. I was made very welcome in your homeland when I visited with my MG Midget. My engine ideas will have to come in the last part of the renovation. I am thinking about a non-Renault engine. Something very light with 3 cylinders. A lot more work has to be done before I can see if this idea is possible and will work. Cheers Dave ps. my only word of Dutch is 'kicker', which you know means 'frog'. aka the connection is Frogeye Sprite

Hi Dave,
Yes, the word "kikker"is very known to me :D
I had once an idead that when I would have time (and money) for a second project then I would install the 1.8 L (1,845 cc) K8 engine the smallest production V6 engine ever which was used in the Mazda MX-3.
But a small 3 cylinder is perhaps more modern and widely available. Good luck with the project.

Cheers,
Joop

Regarding the 1108 conversion, it's a late production body, so it will be simply a matter of finding all the GTL parts and bolting them on.

Hi Angel, I hope so. I have a lot of GTL parts but not the engine and gearbox. I noted on Al's GTL that there are 2 'gimps' (raised areas) for the the cross brace to bolt to. I need to check for these. I am hoping TL and GTL inner wings are the same. Thanks for your interest.

I am thinking about a non-Renault engine. Something very light with 3 cylinders.
Interesting as there are nowadays plenty of nice small 3 cylinder engines which produce a very impressive BHP

Last edited:
Peugeot 107, Citroen C1 and Toyota Aygo all have the same 998cc , 3 cylinder engine that produces 75bhp. I check my wife's 107, it shorter in length and the water pump is at the rear of the engine.

Back