Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Fuel Gauge

NickHay

Enthusiast
Hi, could do with some assistance, again!
Fuel gauge not working. Have checked through all the threads but pls forgive me if I'm bringing this up yet again.
I've got a new fuel sender.
I've replaced the connection on the wiring that leads up to the lights from the sender, just by the longeron.
I've got power at the sender end but no reading at the gauge.
The connections behind the cluster are good.
What am I missing?
The only thing I can think of is an earth but there wasn't an earth connection when I took the old one off, which used to work by the way.
Please, anyone any ideas?
Thank you
Nick

Using a multimeter, check that there's 12 volts at the fuel sender when the ignition is on, by connecting one side of the meter to the 12 volt feed from the dashboard and the other side to a good earth. If there is, then the dashboard & wiring is in good order. Now use the resistance setting on the meter & check there's a good connection between the tank body and a good earth; you should have zero resistance between the tank body and a good earth. If this is the case, I would expect the fault to be in the sender unit itself.

Check these first & report back for more help if this doesn't isolate the problem.

Not a cure, but my R4F4 has just been commissioned with UK plates and after not being used for possibly a number of years (virtual empty tank) it too had no reading on the dash.
After filling the Tank, half way through the second journey the gauge at first fluctuated and eventually came back to life.
It would appear the sender float/mechanism may have been stuck?
Either way it works now which saves the hassle of guessing the flight plan.
Kind Regards
Ian.

Back