Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Gearbox Inside

kujo

Enthusiast
:cool:IF ENYONE HAVE A PROBLEM TOO FIX SOMETHING ON HIS CAR JUST ASK.I NO HOW TO FIX ANYTHING ON RENAULT 4GTL.:cool::)

Here's one with the top cover off - I've not had a gearbox apart so can't give you photos of one in pieces.

• in-gearbox.jpg
    in-gearbox.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 562
Thanks Man!i Hawe A Problem With My Gear Box.it Stucked In 4 Th Gear.when I Opened It Everything Looks Good.now I Dont Now Hove To Put Back The Top Of The Box.THAT GOLDEN LEVER YOU SEE ON THE PICTURE.HOW SHOULD IT STAY WHEN I PUT BACK THE TOP?

• fanni3 025.jpg
    fanni3 025.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 412
I think the selector mechanism should be aligned with the bits that are arrowed in this photo. By the way - please don't use all capitals when you post - it's as if you are shouting. :D

• in-gearbox-arrows.jpg
    in-gearbox-arrows.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 423
hi kujo!

:cool:IF ENYONE HAVE A PROBLEM TOO FIX SOMETHING ON HIS CAR JUST ASK.I NO HOW TO FIX ANYTHING ON RENAULT 4GTL.:cool::)

At first hello to all 4l drivers and forum members!

Kujo,could you tell me please if the U-brass part in my gear box is ok or not?
I mean to see on the other picture above,my one appears to be worn and torn...
It does not seem to be in a perfect U-shape.

reason

I could not move the gearstick anymore,and looked for the reason.
Fortunately I`ve got another gearbox,but it takes a couple of hours to replace the old one... :-(
I mean this part:

Last edited:
Wouldn't know, it indeed seems torn and worn. I will have a look at mine when I get back to it.

As for me, I've got a question too and would be delighted to have it answered:

I am currently overhauling a gearbox to replace the one that's currently in my car because it started working a little less well. My engine also leaked so I also wanted to make that stop and fix it all at the same time.

I took the gearbox apart following Kluwer (translated version of the Haynes). So now it is apart and obviously I need to replace parts but I don't know how to see which parts need replacing. I guess the synchromeshes might have to be replaced, how can I see whether they should be or not? Also, the axles that run through it show some wear, is that normal after all those years or does it point to bad maintenance?

I guess I also need new bearings and seals right?

Thanks to anyone who can give me some advice. I bought the gearbox from a friend. The gearbox had a few problems but can't remember what it was about exactly. I figured that any problems would surface once I opened it.

@knightscreek: Your gear switching mechanism is kompletly worn out. I guess, this happens when the gear change rod in the gearcover is not fixed korrekt.
When you look from the inner side at your gearcover you will find the gear change rod fixed with a big circlip. Behind this circlip is or should be a thick curved spring washer. Often this part is broken or missing. It's the most important thing to look after when gearboxes are changed.

It's extremely hard to find any information about how to overhaul the gearbox, which parts need replacement that is, so if anyone knows anything, please share your knowledge! Thanks in advance

Did you search on the Haynes manual?
I think it gives all the infos you need...

Thanks, but as I said: I used the Kluwer, which is a translated version of the Haynes, if I'm to believe my sources. The Kluwer tells me how to take the gearbox apart but doesn't say anything about how to check everything. I was hoping it would tell me that but apparently it's quite a lousy bookwork ;).

I'll tell you the truth: I've heard lots of stories like "changing the syncros" or "replacing pistons and liners in one morning before lunch" but all those stories came from guys that are not able to do their ignition timing.
In fakt nobody will touch a gearbox type 354 or HA-0. You can get a lot of gearboxes below 60.000 miles between 50 - 100 Euro at least in europe. If a gearbox ist worn out, you will have to change a lot of parts. But you will not get all of the parts and the price will soon reach several hundret Euros. You need special tools and experience.
So the best is to look for a sekond-hand-gearbox, to check that it is exactly the type of gearbox you need, to check that it is in good condition - especially the gearcover as mentioned - new sealings, enough oil, and everything will be fine for the next 200.000 miles. It's realy hard to damage this kind of gearbox but nevertheless a lot of R4-drives have shown it is possible.

Yeah, I see what you mean, but I'm not one of those guys who cannot set his own ignition really.

I think I can do it even though I have no experience with gearboxes, there's a moment of learning something new for everything right? I took it apart and it doesn't really scare me, what could be so hard about this thing that I couldn't fix it? I didn't know anything about cars but I restored one anyway, did everything myself (couldn't weld, spraypaint or what else, now I can). So I believe I can get this one going well again if I just know what I have to replace.

Ofcourse I agree with you that, if a lot of parts have to be changed, it's not worth it to overhaul it and ofcourse then I won't because there's a lot of good gearboxes for sale.

I also believe in restoring things, not just replacing with something else when something is worn out because a lot of things are easily fixable. So if it's just one of those synchromeshes, then I'd rather just replace that one and not get a whole new gearbox. Besides that, I'd like to have a gearbox in my car that I know is a 100% good. I want to know that my gearbox is good and that I will not strand somewhere in the middle of France or the like.

I don't mean to be the wise guy (otherwise I guess I'd not be sitting here asking for your help) but I'd like to fix this gearbox and get it into a good condition, buying another one is always an option ofcourse. The synchromeshes are pretty cheap at Franzose.de by the way! The bearings are a little more expensive.

I didn't mean you by the guys that can't do their ignition :-)

I just meant dont take stories about repaired gearboxes on the last Himalaya trip for real. :-)

I do repair gearboxes. Right now three of them. But I dont try to repair a worn out one because it's much to expensive and I'm quite shure there is a lot of parts not availible.
So I try to get a really good one and "refresh" it.

There is a manual by Renault about the 354/HA-0/1. I will look for the number this evening. The manual is very usefull because it lists all the specifiications especially a lot of different gear ratios. But it's not much a help to say if a part looks normaly worn or damaged. Some shifting parts look worn after 20.000 miles but they will be good for the next 500.000 probably.

If you do understand german I can send you a step-by-step description how a gearbox is checked and photos how it is done. Unfortunatelly my english is to awful to describe it. :-(

Aaah, haha ok, I misunderstood what you mean then ;). But that's quite interresting! I understand what you mean.

I do understand German too (I am Dutch by the way) so that would be an awesome thing to have if you'd be willing to send it to me! I'll send you a personal message with my e-mail :). And i don't know but I think your English is splended right?

I have the official Renault manual for the cast iron gearboxes, I think I downloaded it from the french club site-can email it to you if you need it.
It has very detailed instructions on replacing components, setting bearing preload etc but does not have any info about checking the synchro rings. They are normally chacked for wear by measuring the gap between the baulk ring and its associated gear, but obviously one needs some factory specs to do this!

Back