Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Hello!

RoryR

Hello all,

I am a 2cv owner :) But I have uncovered an early Jan 1984 registered Renault 4 GTL on a driveway. I have been looking at it for quite some time (years).
Having slowly gotten to know the owner, it turns out they have owned it from new. I think it's an earlier GTL as it has the seats (and one door card) that is the black vinyl upholstery type?

It has been sat on a tarmac driveway since they stopped driving it in 2015.

I have taken lots of photos of what looks to me like some pretty bad rust issues: Underside looks pretty rusty! and also what appears to be rust through the chassis, largely at the front end passenger side of the car.

It appears to have had patching on the driver's side footwell in the past.
The footwell is fairly firm - if a little rough looking - because of this, however the well seems to be splitting away from the cross bar underneath the driver's seat. There's a visible gap where the crease looks like it is splitting away.

Moving over towards the passenger side of the front, the section of floor underneath the central radio, and then across the passenger footwell, is rusted through. As is the section where the floor pan meets what I think is the chassis rail? in the front nearside footwell corner. It's where there is a visible hole in the structure from the outside, next to the A panel, too.

Then.. ha... there's also holes in the inner rear arches. Not in the corners where the rear box seat section meets the floor, but further up and in the middle of the inner arches. Someone has been in here previously as the original rubber arch mattings have come away from the metal in places where the corrossion has taken place, and deteriorated/split. The boot floor, otherwise, appears fairly solid but with surface rust.

Aside from the wheels, brakes and engine being somewhat unknowns (it last turned over in 2019, however it does appear to have it's original engine) I wondered what the forum's thoughts/advice might be on the rust issues on this car.

It looks significant to me. However, I'm no pro, and I thought it would be interesting to get your thoughts as a group of experts and owners.

I am attaching some images here which I hope are readable. I'll try and upload these as 'sections'.

The passenger side front footwell area of the car
(inside and outside views)

unnamed-3.jpg unnamed-1.jpg unnamed-3.jpg unnamed-25.jpg unnamed-26.jpg unnamed-21.jpg

The driver side front footwell area of the car
(inside and outside views)

unnamed-24.jpg unnamed-23.jpg unnamed-16.jpg unnamed-22.jpg unnamed-8.jpg

The section underneath the front of the driver seat where the floor pan supposedly meets the box section

unnamed-27.jpg unnamed-28.jpg

The seats wouldn't be original for an '84 UK market GTL. You would expect red tartan fabric seats on a silver car.

That chassis looks really bad. Don't think I've seen a worse one. Looks like someone has riveted plates to the underneath. These will have trapped water and rotted anything nearby. You can buy new floors but when the floors are in that state all the double skinned suspension mountings and the rest of the chassis will be in a state so daft to repair. You can buy new chassis these days for maybe £2500 to £3000 after tax and delivery which would be a better option.

Body looks repairable if you have a welder. Nothing too much out of the ordinary in the photos. The rear inner arches go because of the double skin seatbelt mounting.

All of the mechanical bits tend to be available reasonably cheaply. For a car that needs recommissioning it's probably only £500 in bits to replace all the brakes and ball joints and ignition stuff.

People say buy the best one you can afford. I ignore that advice. But for that one it would be a lot cheaper to buy a better one and also save the 2 years time on restoration. It's value will be in the RHD parts which have become very rare.

The seats wouldn't be original for an '84 UK market GTL. You would expect red tartan fabric seats on a silver car.

That chassis looks really bad. Don't think I've seen a worse one. Looks like someone has riveted plates to the underneath. These will have trapped water and rotted anything nearby. You can buy new floors but when the floors are in that state all the double skinned suspension mountings and the rest of the chassis will be in a state so daft to repair. You can buy new chassis these days for maybe £2500 to £3000 after tax and delivery which would be a better option.

Body looks repairable if you have a welder. Nothing too much out of the ordinary in the photos. The rear inner arches go because of the double skin seatbelt mounting.

All of the mechanical bits tend to be available reasonably cheaply. For a car that needs recommissioning it's probably only £500 in bits to replace all the brakes and ball joints and ignition stuff.

People say buy the best one you can afford. I ignore that advice. But for that one it would be a lot cheaper to buy a better one and also save the 2 years time on restoration. It's value will be in the RHD parts which have become very rare.
I totally agree Malcolm. It's a good car to break for the RHD parts.

If the Car needs moving I have a trailer.
I need some minor detail parts which of course , like has been mentioned are attracting more value.
Kind Regards
Ian

Back