Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R4 beeping

WolfRichter

Enthusiast
Hey Renault folks, I hope you're having a great day. My '85 (in my last post I said 84, I beg your pardon)R4, 850cc, has gotten through inspection! Naturally I wanted to drive it right away and after warming it up, of course I wanted to test it's speed on the world famous Autobahn.(It did 65mph ish btw and I believe it could have gone a bit faster)At a certain speed the dashboard startet beeping, I couldn't see any of the warning lights coming on. I assume this is a high speed warning indicator? This was my first highway ride in that car so I apologize if this is a stupid question.
Thank you in advance!

I guess it's the speedometer magnet bush gone dry or having excessive play. Whenever it has happened to me, it made more of a howling sound than beeping, though.

I guess it's the speedometer magnet bush gone dry or having excessive play. Whenever it has happened to me, it made more of a howling sound than beeping, though.
I appreciate you taking time for me however it positively was a beeping sound, as if it tried to warm me of something

Then maybe somebody in the past may had wired a buzzer to warn about exceeding speed limit. Would be interesting to see how it has been done.

Then maybe somebody in the past may had wired a buzzer to warn about exceeding speed limit. Would be interesting to see how it has been done.
At some point I think I have to dig deeper into the dashboard anyway

Don't know the 85 ish R4 elektrical, but can it be a tripping relay? This can make a buzzer like sound.
This can occur when voltage does crazy things. Coming from alternator at higher revs?
Have seen it happen more than once on other cars.

Back