Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Homegrown Garage Green One -75

May I ask a question about car heaters in Sweden? I'm a fan of Daf cars, built in Holland in the 1960s & 70s. I think I read a something about Dafs sold in Sweden having to have more powerful heaters than normal. Is this really true or is it an "urban myth"? I suppose if it's true it would apply to ALL cars imported into the country, to help them deal with the extremely cold winters.

No it's no urban myth!
I don't know about Daf in particular, but cars aimed for car market in Sweden, Norway, Finland and Canada needed extra equipment. On early cars it could be hotter thermostat, bigger heater element with more nossels (R4 have two extra for rear passengers feet area). Grill block or radiator curtain.
All "big" brands had winter packages for northern countries and there were a lot of Dafs in Sweden so l guess they had all above in their cars sold here.
Same with cars sold in hot climates they have bigger cooling systems etc.

Best regard

The rear brake issue is odd. When it's front and rear brakes it's typically adjustment of the master cylinder pushrod. But both rear brakes only must surely be a problem with the rear brake proportioning valve.

Good to hear the brakes aren't locking on any more. Maybe the valve got stuck and has freed off. Have you checked if the rear brakes are working at all now? Maybe jack the car on the RHS and make sure the brakes are responding to the brake pedal.

The rear brake issue is odd. When it's front and rear brakes it's typically adjustment of the master cylinder pushrod. But both rear brakes only must surely be a problem with the rear brake proportioning valve.

Good to hear the brakes aren't locking on any more. Maybe the valve got stuck and has freed off. Have you checked if the rear brakes are working at all now? Maybe jack the car on the RHS and make sure the brakes are responding to the brake pedal.
Maybe just a hiccup on proportioning valve, but I double check that all lines are correctly positioned on master and distribution block and they seems right (compared to ather cars I have).
Brakes are very good, on gravel all four lock up on demand and on tarmac fronts lock up if applied hard. So I think the breaking capacity is as factory designed it.
Will bleed rear system again and distribution block (guess that’s from the proportioning valve).

Don’t know how R4 people in Sweden are driving but all my R4 under engine pan seems to hit something hard at least one time during its lifetime.
Just grab tools needed for the job. The white plastic material works a bit like a sandbag (to make shape with the mallets) others for bending and smoothing out. Half an hours work and the shape seems to fit car again. Look in my Renault bolt jars I find spares to screw into the bottom of engine compartment.

IMG_0446.jpeg IMG_0459.jpeg IMG_0449.jpeg IMG_0450.jpeg

Have used it as a daily now.
Been going to store shopping, visit friends and family, had to tow the trailer to move stuff. Yesterday we going to the coast 40km away, we have really great summer wheather 25 degrees last days. We gave all our cultivations water, make pasta salad, and prepared for a full day in the sun. Just a quick swim (only 13 degrees C in the water) but a lot of sunbathing.
Today it was swap meet and exhibition 50km from home. Wife was going to work so I wen't alone. Had pasta salad leftovers, coffe, sandwich, water, soda and of course sun protection, prepared for full day in the sun again.
Leaving home around seven thou the event start eight.
Lots of seller and enthusiast cars already when I arrive, take a coffee, put on a hat, more sun screen, cash and a bag going shopping. 7.5km later with more coffe, water and food brake emptying bag each time I'm back to the Green One.
Bought lots of hand tools, drillbits, welding gear and three set of Wilwood handbrake calipers. Really great buys (high quality and good price) and clear blue sky morning to night (have been like this all week), very happy I took three week off to help my wife with her farming.
Green One have been on my side and done exillent job since the rear breake hiccup last week. Starts easy cold or warm, goes strong and have no problem to keep up with the pace. 30 - 120km/h on fourth effortless (does 130km/h but then there is nothing left. Practical car I want to put a lot of km on so it gets sorted. Front shocks are not so good so ordered some new, rear seams ok. Think I should check wheel bearings and driveshafts soon though grease deteriorate. Others everything works fine.
Doesn't matter what time or where you are with the R4 people want to look and talk and telling anecdotes from their youth, I think everyone over forty have strong memories (good or bad).

IMG_0489.jpeg IMG_0490.jpeg IMG_0493.jpeg IMG_0499.jpeg IMG_0501.jpeg IMG_0504.jpeg IMG_0505.jpeg IMG_0506.jpeg IMG_0516.jpeg IMG_0518.jpeg

Back