Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Refitting side windows

jjad

Enthusiast
I've finally got round to replacing the fixed half (with the metal strip) of one of my rear side doors.

I found that to get the whole window assembly out, you just need to lift the rubber flap on the inside and it pops out.

However, when re-fitting, I can't get the frame to fit perfectly - it wobbles slightly in the door.

Has anyone got any tips for stopping it from wobbling? I've been trying to encourage the frame to top wobbling by pushing on opposite sides.

There was no sealant used previously, as I think is correct for the later cars with the plastic frames.

Thanks for any advice!

Under mine frames there was double side adhesive tape that was preventing air and water entering cabin.

I am not sure, but it seems to me that there were small screws that was hold frame in place.
Hope that I have some pictures of it. But before tonight i can not get to those pictures.

My plan is to go with some kind of sealant between frame and door.
When you are running on high speed (80 km/h:D) that gap between frame and door is letting air whistling, and making noise.
And I would like to remove that noise.
Plus it will left water out of that gap.

There should be metal clips attaching the window to the frame. 3 on the front windows and 4 on the rear. They might still be hiding inside the seal.

Thanks, that rings a bell. Are they sort of tabs that you squeeze to get the window out and should clip back in on their own? Perhaps I need to find them and push the tabs out a bit to make them more 'springy'?

Ah, I've looked at the window on the other side, and just as Malcolm says, there are four clips there. However, there were no clips on the window I got out. It seems they were removed at some point in the past (you can make out where they should be from tiny marks in on the door). It might explain why that window always rattles.

So, if anyone has any of these clips spare, or knows where you can get them from, I'd be very keen to know!

Petak, I'd be interested in what screws or clips you have in your car.

Many thanks in advance!

r4_window_clip.jpeg

I was wrong!

Obviously I have replaced two things in my head.
It's been a while since I took off the windows.

With me are the same type of buckle what have you. 4 on each window

Here are the photos.
P1030271.jpg

P1030273.jpg

Double side adhesive tape that was between frame and door
P1030275.jpg

P1030276.jpg

Thanks petak,
They are also missing on the front door on that side of the car, so I'm looking for 7 clips (4 for the rear side door and 3 for the front).

Usually you have screws in older car with metal windows frames and clips in newer cars with plastic window frames.
But you can even screw the plastic frame window if you prefer. I've seen it done on several cars.

Back