Renault 5 TX Restoration
This Renault 5 TX has been knocking about in the barn for a couple of years. I've been driving it up and down the driveway on occasion for exercise and have decided I like it - it's a good drive with it's light steering, soft suspension and flexible engine, and this one is original and hasn't been messed around. Smells a bit of dog inside.
It has the 1.4 engine. The trim spec is much the same as the R5 Gordini but it doesn't have all the tuning and camshafts, so it's pokey but useable and comfortable. I'm planning a light and quick restoration but I do tend to get carried away.
The Mk1 Renault 5 has a reputation for rust in the rear suspension mountings which is not entirely unjustified.
Having not found any instructions for repairing the rear suspension mount on the internet I've posted a lot of photos of the repair on this car to help other restorations target their work a bit more accurately.
Rust in the damper tower was a bit more of a surprise, and I found lots of other little bits to do which are also covered on this page.
Finally the rear suspension went back on so the car could be moved. It still fits!
It's astonishing how well the sill has survived having been bombarded by mud from both ends over the last 28 years. I think the sealant that remained long after the metalwork stopped mud from getting into the sill.
Wheelarch liners would help avoid this sort of thing. I'll likely make some later.
The right hand side of the car has survived in better condition but still needs the same sort of work as the other side.
Oddly the interior still smells of dog even though most of the interior was removed some time ago. I shall carry out the necessary investigations later but the current thinking is someone might have stuffed a dog up behind the dashboard.
The best time to paint a car is the summer, but somehow paint always organises itself into a mid winter timeslot.
Preparation took as long as the rest of the project so far, but the paint went on in a day in mid October before it got too cold and wet. Normally I'll have some paint disaster that will hold me up for months but this one went really well.
Ideally you'd aim to finish all of the welding before starting paint. I've still got a few bits to finish off on the battery tray and longerons (but to be fair I've not painted those bits yet).
The plan is to complete the welding and paint the underside, then refit the interior before starting on the engine. To me welding and metal bothering is fun but the engine rebuilding stuff is a chore so it's good to put it off a little longer.
The car has only covered about 55,000 miles, but the engine needed to come out to replace the timing chain and sort out the head gasket.
It was a mess inside having been sitting for a few years with the sump and cylinders full of water from the head gasket leak. A fair number of shiny new bits needed.
With the engine rebuild and back in the car it's a nut and bolt job to finish off the restoration.
It amazes me how many individual parts make up a car.
Notice how all of the rust on this car was around the wheelarches. There are a bunch of mud traps in there. Wheelarch liners should help prevent the mud getting in there again.
Exhausts are tricky to get hold of these days for the Renault 5 TX. Also I've fitted some wheelarch liners so can't fit the original exhaust. I'm going for my own design of exhaust made from pre-bent pipes and a custom silencer.
The project went quiet for a couple of years while I moved house. The R5 still isn't completely finished but has an MOT and is on the road.
There's a documentary about the development and life of the Renault 5 by Renault TV and a whole website about them on Andrew's R5 Site. Found a bunch of R5 turbo restoration photos by Paul Baker who always does a very nice job.